Hey there, it’s FRIDAY! If you ate way too much Halloween candy (so what? We didn’t have any trick or treaters!) and still ate too much after trying to give at away at work, wellll these are the muffins for you. (i.e. me)
I haven’t commenced the putting-pumpkin-in-everything phase of this year, but these muffins start the ticket off right. Creamy pumpkin studded with tiny squares of deep dark chocolate are a stellar way to start the month of November!
Muffins aren’t usually my vice of choice, but sometimes you just need a variation from oatmeal (no matter how much Nutella you put in it, healthy fats..right?) in the mornings and these are do a pretty darn good trick of curbing the 10am “OHMYGOSHI’MHUNGRYRIGHTNOW” while also adding the right amount of chocolate to keep you sane.
Take care not to over bake these muffins, or they will become hard and more hockey puck-like than muffin-like. No one likes hockey pucks for breakfast (or dinner or snack or dessert, it all depends on time of day!). You could also add nuts to the batter, I’m thinking walnuts would be perfect, and pecans would be like mashing together a pecan and pumpkin pie and who wouldn’t want that mess of fall delicious!?
Have a wonderful weekend friends!
Dark Chocolate Pumpkin Muffins
adapted from Fat Free Vegan
- 1 flax egg ( or regular egg, if you get down with that)
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup canned pumpkin or pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup very ripe, finely mashed banana
- 1/4 cup agave nectar or honey
- 1/4 cup soy milk (or dairy milk, whatever tickles your milk fancy!)